Intellectual Property Facilitation Cell at ICRISAT
Micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) represent over 90 percent of enterprises in India. They are the driving force behind a large number of innovations and contribute to the growth of the Indian economy through employment creation, investments, and exports. Since India has become innovator and producer of new product, rocess and services, effective protection and management of Intellectual Property (IP) assets demands high priority to compete in international markets.
The development, management, and protection of IP have become increasingly crucial to business success. MSME sector needs support to identify and use appropriate IP tools and complement these with relevant product differentiation,
business and marketing strategies.
The Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) management in any MSME requires a broad portfolio management that includes the fundamental need to link IPR protection with licensing, technology transfer, up-scaling, commercialisation and
safeguards. Strengthening the IPRs management skill is the need and is an integral part of prudent business strategy to capture a larger part of the benefit stream generated by innovation activities.
The Intellectual Property Facilitation Cell (IPFC) has been established in Agribusiness and Innovation Platform (AIP) of ICRISAT with support from the Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME), Government of India, to support and facilitate MSMEs with its IPR management.
- To act as a single window for Intellectual Property (IP) protection, Intellectual Property (IP) advisory, and technology transfer in MSME with special emphasis on Agriculture, Biotechnology, Food Processing and Allied Sector;
- To facilitate MSMEs for national and international IP protection, IP commercialization, and use of IP tools in a cost effective manner;
- To provide IPR related information and updates to improve business prospects and marketebility of products and services;
- To enhance MSME competitiveness at regional, national, and international levels through strengthening IP component in business activities;
- To facilitate development of Human Resource in Intellectual Property (IP) Sector through trainings, workshops, awareness camps, capsule courses etc.